We’ve noticed you might be viewing our website from a different location. Visit your regional site for more relevant information and pricing.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update

Date: 24/06/20

En seguimiento a la Proclamación 10014 emitida por el gobierno de los EEUU y que será efectiva al dia 24 de Junio de 2020, nos encontramos en una situación muy desafortunada en la cual no podremos darle continuidad al programa Resort Leaders para el verano del 2020.

Durante los últimos meses y semanas,mantuvimos nuestra esperanza y actitud positiva en respecto a que las fechas de restricción de viaje se levantarian a tiempo para poder asistir a nuestros resorts, sin embargo, debido a la imposición de restricciones para la obtención de visas y viajes para nuestros programas impuesta por los Estados Unidos, viajar este verano ya no será posible.

Desde nuestra fecha de creación en 1999, Resort Leaders ha enfrentado muchas situaciones retadoras, pero nunca nos imaginamos un verano sin intercambio cultural. La frase ‘Sin precedentes’ ya se ha convertido en un cliché, sin embargo, es lo único que puede en verdad describir lo que hemos enfrentado juntos.

Desde las etapas tempranas de la pandemia de Coronavirus, hemos trabajado constantemente con nuestros socios con el fin de ajustar nuestras operaciones con la esperanza de facilitar nuestro programa este verano. Las modificaciones abarcan desde los nuevos desarrollos por parte de los programas hasta la adopción de nuevas medidas de seguridad; nuestra comunidad se unió para hacer todo lo necesario para permitir que este verano fuera posible.

Esta decisión es decepcionante para todos. Somos una compañía que vive y respira la pasión por el intercambio cultural y gran parte de nuestro equipo dentro del staff de Resort Leaders irían de vuelta a sus hoteles este verano.

Estamos seguros de que viajaremos de nuevo. Los hoteles y recintos turisticos se mantendrán vivos. Las medidas de distanciamiento social serán levantadas. Cuando esto suceda, juntos vamos a inspirar a más personas a ir más lejos.

Por el momento, queremos pedir de nuevo tu paciencia y apoyo mientras ayudamos a todos nuestros participantes en los días que vienen.

A continuación de esta actualización todos los participantes tienen dos opciones. Puedes seleccionar transferir tu solicitud al verano de 2021 o 2022 o solicitar un reembolso. Esto se puede hacer fácilmente a través de tu solicitud en línea.

Te recordamos que continuamos laborando con una reducción alta de staff por todas las medidas de seguridad que se han implementado por el gobierno, agradecemos tu paciencia con respecto al tiempo de espera de respuesta y te invitamos a que hagas tu elección a través del perfil.

Esperamos poder ayudarte con tus planes para un verano inolvidable en el 2021.

Agradecemos infinitamente tu apoyo y comprensión mientras navegamos juntos en estos tiempos difíciles.

Date: 21/04/20

Thank you for your ongoing patience and support.

We are currently prioritising assistance for participants who were due to depart prior to May 12th. Following that we will be prioritising support based on upcoming depart dates.

With the ever-changing nature of this unprecedented situation a lot remains uncertain as we face the coming weeks and months. At this point, we wanted to try and provide you with some certainty around a few key areas:

  • We are awaiting an update from the U.S. Department of State in regards to the current suspension of the Exchange Visitor Program (issued on March 13th). We expect to receive this mid-May and will update you shortly thereafter.
  • As stated from the outset of the pandemic - we will not facilitate travel if it is deemed unsafe to do so - this will be determined by government and public health authorities, the U.S. Department of State and visa sponsors. Your safety is our highest priority.
  • We will only suspend the program in the instance where it is unsafe to travel or travel is not logistically possible (e.g air travel is suspended). We must remain optimistic for the summer. Hundreds of thousands of children, now more than ever, need your support to learn new skills, build new relationships and have fun this summer.
  • Departure dates at any point in May are extremely unlikely based on embassy closures and the Exchange Visitor Program suspension. Please be prepared for all departure dates to be moved into June or July. We will be in touch to confirm any departure date changes.
  • Nonimmigrant visa appointments at the U.S Embassy remain suspended - we expect appointments to resume soon. Once we receive more information from the embassy we will update you.

  • Our Online Preparation Days will be released in the coming days.

We have already received many questions regarding President Trump’s recent announcement regarding a ban on U.S. immigration. Please be aware that the Exchange Visitor Program is a nonimmigrant cultural exchange program. This program is currently suspended until May 11th at which point the U.S. Department of State and ECA will review the situation. At this point, we do not believe President Trump’s recent statement will directly affect the resortleaders Leaders program.

If your resort has cancelled your placement please email us at mexico@resortleaders.com

We will continue to update this page as we receive more information. For answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding coronavirus please see below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Important: as this situation develops, these frequently asked questions may contain information that is no longer valid. We will update this page as we receive more information about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.

Updated: 03/04/20

Is Resort Leaders still going ahead for 2020?

Yes, the Resot Leaders program is still going ahead.

How are decisions being made about the program?

We are staying informed on the latest advisories and recommendations made by relevant government, health, and travel agencies. These include:

  • The World Health Organization
  • The American government
  • The Foreign Office and Public Health authority of each participant's home country

We are also relying on the experience of our global head office in the UK, and our local office in the USA, as well as each of our partner camps.

Can I withdraw from the program now due to the Coronavirus?

As the program is still going ahead this summer the standard terms and conditions of your programme agreement apply, including any eligibility for a refund. We highly recommend that you continue with your application.

Are the Preparation Days still going ahead?

Yes - the Camp Leaders Preparation Days will be held online this year. Participants will be sent an email where they can access the Preparation Day. Please note that Preparation Days are a mandatory requirement of the J1 visa, so completing a Preparation Day is mandatory.

What do I need to know about my upcoming visa interview?

Due to the Coronavirus, many U.S. Embassies are operating on a minimal staffing policy. Currently, they are prioritising the cases of American citizens. All visa interviews are being delayed for 30 days and will need to be rescheduled. There is no further action required from you. We will contact you to reschedule your visa interview when we receive more information.

What if I or someone else contracts the virus during the program?

All medical issues at camp will utilize the camp’s well-being protocol. Each camp's protocol will be different, but will typically include access to the camp's health center, medical professionals, and the support of local health authorities.

If I contract Coronavirus whilst on the program, will I be covered by the medical insurance?

Yes, you will receive regular insurance coverage, provided you were not diagnosed with Coronavirus before starting your trip. If you are experiencing any symptoms of illness before departure, we ask that you follow your local health authority's guidance.

What are my next steps?

At this point, based on the information we have received, applicants who are interested in the Camp Leaders programme should proceed with their applications as normal. Next steps may include submitting all necessary paperwork and completing your profile.

What should I do about booking flights?

If you are concerned about flight changes or cancellations, we would recommend booking with a credit card that provides travel and cancellation insurance. You may also want to consider purchasing additional travel insurance from a provider of your choice. For specific details of coverage in case of cancellations, we suggest discussing with your credit card or insurance provider.

What if the camp I was placed at does not run this summer?

We work with over 500 camps in the United States, if for any reason your camp does not run, we will work to find you a placement at another camp.

Is summer camp likely to happen?

The majority of our American camps are still very excited to welcome international staff this summer, and are working on preparations for the summer ahead. Due to the unprecedented circumstances, it is highly likely that some camp programs will change. This may affect the length, the type of activities that run, or the amount of children at camp. We ask that you remain open minded and flexible in your approach to your camp and the summer.

I still have instalments to pay, should I pay them now or wait?

We understand that in the current climate, people may be anxious to pay, or want to wait until a time closer to summer. We would advise that all participants from now until further notice wait until they are contacted by Camp Leaders before paying any further instalments. Please note that before you depart to the U.S, you will have to pay in full.

Can I get a refund if I do not want to go anymore due to COVID-19? As the program is still going ahead this summer the standard terms and conditions of your programme agreement apply, including any eligibility for a refund. We highly recommend that you continue with your application.

How should I contact the office about my application?

Due to the coronavirus, we are receiving a high volume of queries and are operating on reduced staffing levels. Please email us at mexico@resortleaders.com, or contact us via phone if you need to speak to a team member. We ask that if you are not due to travel in the near future, and do not have an emergency, to please wait for Camp Leaders to contact you before contacting us.

I’ve not been placed yet, are camps still hiring for summer 2020?

Yes, our camps are still hiring for summer 2020.

Date: 16/03/20

The US Embassy has postponed visa interview appointments until further notice. We are monitoring this situation and are in close contact with our visa sponsors. We expect the postponement to last approximately 30 days.

At this time we ask that you continue to move forward with your application. Please complete all available sections to ensure you are ready when visa interview appointments are re-opened.

If you have a visa appointment scheduled by Resort Leaders on your behalf on or before 16th April, the Resort Leaders team will reach out to you directly with a new appointment. If you have scheduled your appointment independently you can expect your application to be cancel by the embassy and an email notification. Then, you need to log in to your account and schedule a new appointment.

We recommend that all applicants wait to be contacted about their visa appointments.

Date: 14/03/20

On March 13th the US Department of State announced the temporary pause of international exchange programs due to COVID-19. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) will temporarily pause all ECA funded programs. This has also been extended to privately funded programs which includes the Exchange Visitor Program, the visa on which the Resort Leaders program operates. This temporary pause is expected to last 60 days.

At Resort Leaders we will continue to work towards our May and June departures and expect there to be limited impact on travel to your Resort.

If you have a departure date that falls before May 11th 2020 our team will be directly in touch with you.

If you are not due to travel on or before May 11th we recommend that you wait before contacting us with Coronavirus related queries to ensure we have the latest information available for your travel.

Date: 13/03/20

On March 13th the US Department of State announced the temporary pause of international exchange programs due to COVID-19. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) will temporarily pause all ECA funded programs. This has also been extended to privately funded programs which includes the Exchange Visitor Program, the visa on which the Resort Leaders program operates. This temporary pause is expected to last 60 days.

At Resort Leaders we will continue to work towards our May and June departures and expect there to be limited impact on travel to your Resort.

If you have a departure date that falls before May 11th 2020 our team will be directly in touch with you.

If you are not due to travel on or before May 11th we recommend that you wait before contacting us with coronavirus related queries to ensure we have the latest information available for your travel.

Date: 12/03/20

On March 11th President Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States.

This proclamation is expected to last 30 days and applies to the countries located in the Schengen area.

Travel from Mexico remains unaffected at this point, provided you have not travelled in a Schengen area in the last 14 days.

At Resort Leaders we will continue to work towards our May and June departures and expect there to be limited to no impact on travel to your Resort.

If you are currently in one of the areas affected and/or have a departure date that falls before the 11th April 2020 our team will be directly in touch with you.

If you are not due to travel in the near future we recommend that you wait before contacting us with coronavirus related queries to ensure we have the latest information available for your travel.

Date: 09/03/20

Resort Leaders are committed to the welfare and safety of our participants and have been monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation closely.

We are staying informed on WHO, CDC, Foreign Office and Public Health advisories as well updates from our US team, partners and resorts. At this time based on the guidelines and information from the sources outlined above, the Resort Leaders programme will be going ahead as planned for summer 2020.

We will continue to monitor the situation closely and provide updates if the situation is to change.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I still apply for Resort Leaders?

Yes, applications are still open for summer 2020.

Can I withdraw from the programme now because of the Coronavirus?

As the program is going ahead this summer the standard terms and conditions of your program agreement apply, including any eligibility for a refund.

Are the Resort Leaders Preparation Days still going ahead?

Yes, based on the advisories from the sources above the Resort Leaders Preparation Days will be going ahead as scheduled